First Renewal in Washington

What Courses are Required for Brokers Renewing for the First Time?

The education for first renewal students is 90 clock hours of coursework, broken down into the following hours and topics:

  • 30 hour Advanced Real Estate Practices course
  • 30 hour Real Estate Law course
  • 27 hours of approved elective credits
  • 3 hour Current Trends and Issues course (CORE)

FAQ About First Renewal

What are the education requirements the second time I renew?

Every renewal after your first is the same, 30 hours every 2 years. 24 hours of elective credit and 3 hours of Current Trends and Issues (CORE) as well as 3 hours of Fair Housing.

Do I have to take the same Current Trends and Issues (CORE) course every time I renew?

It's the same title every time, but the course is new every two years. The state comes up with a new curriculum to cover what is current in real estate. For example, for one CORE had a large focus on financial fraud, foreclosures and short sales, while another core had a lot of information about mold and disclosure issues.

What is the Easiest Way to Complete my First Broker License Renewal?'s most popular package includes all of the required courses and hours approved by the state in one convenient package. Here's a brief description of our most popular first renewal package: Complete First Renewal includes your choice of electives (one-time 6 Hr Fair Housing requirement)

Seal of Whashington
Can I use extra education hours for my second renewal?

Many brokers take extra hours during their first two years as they seek to learn more about their new business. That's why they often end up with more than 90 clock hours at the end of their first two years in the business.

What happens if I miss my deadline to renew my real estate license?

It depends. There are two groups in this scenario and it's dependant on how late you are in renewing. If you are under one year late, you simply need to complete your education and pay your license fee along with a small fine. There is not additional requirements in this case. If, however, you are more than one year late in renewing your license, you will have lost your license and will need to complete the required education, retake the state exam to become a broker again, as well as pay the initial licensing fees.

Our best advice is to keep your license up to date! It's much cheaper in terms of money and time to renew your license on time. Also, you avoid potential legal problems.

What brokerage services can I provide if I'm late renewing my license for the first time?

None. It's critical you do not perform any activities which requires a license, including but not limited to: buyer agency, seller agency, talking to clients, or even showing houses. If you do while not renewed, the state will consider you in violation of license law, since you would be operating as a broker without a license.

If you are late, use your collegues to field your client calls until you have submitted to the state for renewal.

Do I need to hear from the DOL to know I'm renewed?

No, broker's are considered renewed when they submit all the fees and documentation required to the DOL. This can be done online through the DOL's online portal, or by mailing the paperwork and check. If mailed, the date it's postmarked is considered the renewal date. We don't recommend you cut it close enough to worry, but it's important to know the exact date in case of late renewal.

Do I need to send proof of course completion to the state?

No, but print out your certificates and maintain the records. The state randomly audits the records of brokers to verify compliance.

Does keep my certificates in case I lose them?

Absolutely. We will keep track of all of your education completed with us and you're welcome to log in and print your certificates or call our office if you ever lose your copies.

Is my education considered a tax write off?

Most often, yes. Check with a tax professional regarding your specific situation to verify.

What do I do if I took more hours than I needed?

If you happen to have extra unused clock hours, you can use up to fifteen continuing education hours for your next renewal. The Washington DOL rules are that the hours must have been completed within 48 months (4 years) of the renewal they are being used for. Keep in mind, course hours cannot be split up, so, a student can't use extra hours from a course which was already claimed for credit, even partial.

What is your email?

Registered User

Login Forgot password?

New User?

It's free and only takes about a minute.

Sign Up - New user

I understand I must be 18 years of age to have a real estate license in State. I also agree to the site terms of use.

Thank you for signing up with Please fill out the following to allow us to properly certify your course completion.

Complete either of the following. They will be used for your course certificate.

I attest that all of the information entered above is true and correct.

* Mandatory

** Only one is required, but your real estate license number is preferred if you have one.

What state are you in?